Q. How do I register my child in your school system? What do I need to take with me to the school?
A. Each student is registered at the neighborhood school. Proof of residency (two utility bills or a copy of lease/mortgage agreement), birth certificate, most recent immunization records, and proof of most recent physical are required at time of registration.

Q. Is there all-day kindergarten in Nashua? Can I put my child into one of the all-day kindergarten programs?
A. Each of our 12 elementary schools offer full-day kindergarten programs.

Q. What is the cut-off date and age for children entering kindergarten and first grade? Can I enroll my child in kindergarten or first grade before they are age appropriate?
A. Children must be five years old as of September 30 to enter kindergarten, and six years old prior to September 30 in order to enter first grade.

A parent/guardian may request early admission to kindergarten or first grade. The following conditions must be met to request early admission to either kindergarten or first grade. Please click here for more information. 

Q. There will be no exceptions for children with birthdates beyond October 31.  
If the conditions are met, the child will be assessed for social, emotional and academic readiness in the summer. Parents must contact Student Services in the Masse School Administration Building to request early admission packet before June 1 of the upcoming school year.

 Q. How do parents resolve problems they are having with a teacher?
A. In cases of discipline or other school matters relating to their children, parents should first discuss the matter with the teacher concerned. If, for some reason, they are not satisfied, they can further discuss that matter with the principal, then Director of Student Services and ELL, and finally, the Assistant Superintendents or Superintendent of Schools.

Q. We’re moving out of Nashua, can our child continue to attend Nashua schools?
A. If a student moves from Nashua to another town or city during the school year and wishes to continue attending school in Nashua, the District must be notified by the student’s parents and/or by the student if over the age of 18. If space is available, the student will be allowed to remain in the Nashua School District on a tuition basis. Families who do not reside in Nashua, or move out of Nashua, but send their children to Nashua Public Schools without giving proper notification to the District and receiving written permission for their child’s enrollment in the Nashua Public Schools, will be assessed the cost of tuition for the period of time in question and may face appropriate civil and criminal sanctions, including, but not limited to, complaints for Theft of Services.

Q. Which is the best school?
A. We do not rank our schools; however, our web site does have some assessment information. Also, the New Hampshire Department of Education has a test score site available with assessment information on schools.

Q. How can I find out about “before- and after-school” programs?
A. Through a 21st Century Community Learning Center grant, the following schools offer unique “before- and/or after- school” academic and enrichment courses throughout the school year for students in Grades 1-5: Amherst Street Elementary, Dr. Crisp Elementary, Fairgrounds Elementary, Ledge Street Elementary, and Mt. Pleasant Elementary. Also, the Adult Learning Center (603 882-9080) sponsors a licensed “before- and after-school” child-care program for children in kindergarten through grade 5. Each school offers the programs on school days only. Before-school care is available in most of the elementary schools.

Q. Can my child attend a different Nashua school other than my neighborhood school?
A. While most children attend their neighborhood school, the Nashua School District does have a procedure for parents to request their child be allowed to stay at the school in which they began the school year. If class size, student discipline, or poor attendance is not an issue, Attendance Variances are granted with the provision that the parent provide transportation to and from school daily. A blank Attendance Variance Request form may be obtained at your child’s school site or the school administration building at 141 Ledge St.  High school waivers are a form of attendance variance and may be obtained at the Masse School Administration Building at 141 Ledge Street, Nashua.

Q. Where are students’ records kept after a student leaves the Nashua School District?
A. An Office Record Card for all students will be permanently maintained by the School District. Student records follow the child chronologically to the corresponding schools until that student graduates. They are then kept at the high school they attended for the amount of time as follows: A regular education student’s cumulative file will be maintained for three (3) years from the date of program completion. Special Education records for Special Education students should be maintained for six (6) years after the date of termination or program completion.
Q. I want to home school my child. How do I register my child for home schooling?
A. Pick up a Home Education intent form at the Masse School Administration Building, 141 Ledge Street, Nashua. Submit the completed form, to the Office of Student Services, also located at the Berard Masse School Administration Building.